Saturday, January 30, 2016

To the perfect parents at the zoo...

To the perfect mothers and the one perfect father in the zoo's parent's room:
I would just like to say thank you. Thank you so much for your passive-aggressive condescension and judgmental sideways glances. As you saw me angrily and tearfully scrubbing my daughter's pants - who was running around throwing a fit in her t-shirt and diaper because I had no way to secure her into anything, the stroller being covered in bodily fluids - you did not feel the need to inquire as to my own upset, or to even give me a hint of sympathy. No, instead you think you know exactly what is going on...a mother who is angry at their child for messing themselves. I don't particularly blame you for jumping to that conclusion, as I was angry and frustrated. But not for the reasons you appeared to think. You see, I was not angry with my daughter for having "an accident". She did not mess herself and her stroller. What you failed to notice, or to understand, was that my child - not 10 minutes prior to my entering the parent's room - had thrown a tantrum so hard she threw up all over my hands, herself and her stroller (everything we had eaten 20 minutes before "the colossal fit of 2016"). No. All you saw was a "poor (or bratty, pick the parent)" 2 year old, running around, screaming/crying as hard as she possibly could and a mother who was incapable of being in two places at once. And what you failed to see, not 10 minutes prior, was me, walking with one hand extended away from the stroller, trying to keep my vomit-covered hand clear of anyone and anything because I stupidly tried to catch her projectile puke with my hand so that other people and their kids wouldn't have to step on it while trying to come and go from the playground. How inconsiderate of me.
You see, my child is 2. She's not a brat (usually). She's 2. I am not a bad mother. My child is my oxygen. She is my life. Without her, I'd rather die than keep on going. But toddler-hood is a very difficult time for every person involved - parents and the toddler. But I can only assume from your behavior, that you have not yet had the pleasure of parenting a toddler. And right now, your precious, quiet, well-mannered infants are just that. They are infants. They are immobile and the extent of their fits consumes the very tiny amount of space they take up. Other than breaking sound barriers, your infant isn't really capable of affecting other people around them. When your child throws a fit, you hear "oh, someone must be tired"...or "poor mama, this phase will pass"...and believe me, it will. Then you get to join the ranks of mothers who, upon having to deal with older children who throw fits and vomit in public because they aren't getting their way - and said parents refuse to give in to said tantrums just so your perfect little bubble isn't ruined by this (admittedly) obnoxious screaming - must also deal with people like you. Perfect parents of perfect infants.
One day, you will be where we are now and I hope, for your and your child's sake, the strangers around you will be kinder to you than you were to me.

2 comments:

  1. Oh the fun of puke in public.. Hayli puked on someone's driveway on Halloween.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no! Tantrum or sick? If the first, I'm so sorry, that really sucks. If the second, poor kid. Either way, what a crappy thing to happen during trick or treating!

    ReplyDelete